Monday, February 4, 2019

Head, character, heart (part one)

The week leading up to The Parish Walk (PW) was a strange one. My mind was playing tricks with me and imaginary twinges here and there were being magnified. I found myself thinking about the big day ahead and that nervous/excitement hit me at the same time which produced a funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. It made sense to rest up the week before and take it easy which is exactly what I didn't do in 2013. I went on a stag trip to Liverpool. In my head, I had done all I could by then to get myself in a position to take on this mother of all challenges and a distraction would be a good thing. Anybody that knows me will not be fooled if I said we were all tucked up in bed by 10pm, so I won't bother. Let's just say what goes on on tour stays on tour and I'll leave it there.

After work on the Monday, I had arranged to drive the course from Peel to the finish with Wendy so we could do a recce on places that would be good for her to park up and support. The plan was for my wife Hannah to support the first part to Peel and I would see her first at Arbory, then at the round table. Wendy would take over for the rest of it. It was a lovely summer's evening driving the course, however, this didn't mask the sheer enormity of the task in hand, as my chimp was starting to rattle in his cage. I dropped Wendy back at her car near the Sea Terminal and sighed with a puff of the cheeks "that's a bloody long way isn't it?". Her reply was "not a problem, you'll be fine". Perfect. She was probably thinking the same as me, but she didn't show it and her positive attitude was shining through!

I walked on Tuesday around the S100 course and it was more of a stroll to keep the legs ticking over more than anything. It felt strange not trying to walk too quickly but I was wrapped in cotton wool mode and didn't want to risk any sort of injury being so close to lift off. The rest of the week sped by and Paul at work offered to collect my number on the Thursday evening and it was on my desk when I came in on Friday morning. What number did I have? 404. Anything significant about that number I thought? The hidden meaning behind angel number 404 to psychics believe it or not speaks about endurance.

"There will be many challenges that you need to overcome and struggles that you must face, and you need to have the staying power to make sure that you will still be standing to the very end". 

That would be pretty cool if I had actually found that meaning on the internet in 2013 instead of the one I did referring to the computer term: Error 404 not found!

I had asked Paul before leaving work on Friday if he was feeling as excited as I was. His reply was a chilling one "no, you don't know whats coming, I do!". That evening, Wendy came to pick my kit and supplies up. Nothing was left to chance, I had double of everything. At the PW talk at the Manx museum, back in March, one of the panelists had commented on how to prepare yourself for completing it - the first third is with your head, the second shows your character and the final third is with your heart. I gave Wendy a spreadsheet of my estimated times I was thinking I would hit each church. Use my head to not get carried away at the start and go off too quick as it could start to unravel badly. Take it steady at 4.5mph and I should have enough time in the bank, to see me through the unknown miles (from wherever that would be) to use my character and then hopefully show what's in my heart. I remember the last thing Wendy said before heading home "see you in Peel and remember, your race, your pace!". We were definitely reading from the same page.

Surprisingly, I got a decent night's kip and was feeling ok the next morning. I had my usual porridge breakfast and started drinking some water to make sure I was getting hydrated. The cramping I had suffered in those challenging weekend walks had been solved by hydration tablets that you put in your water. They had worked a treat through April and May training walks. Hannah gave me a lift to the NSC early as I wanted to get nearer the front than the back of all the walkers. I met my mate, Mike Crompton, who had previously been to Peel a couple of times and the idea was to start together and see what happened. We lined up with about 30 minutes to go and the atmosphere was building. The time dragged and then with more and more people gathering on the track the time seemed to fast forward. Raymond Cox gave a welcoming speech and then the countdown from a minute had begun. My watch had connected to the GPS and I was ready. The starters gun went off and for all the training and thoughts leading up to this moment, I remember laughing, it felt like an anticlimax as it wasn't a fast start you normally associate with athletic events. I was shuffling for the first 50-100 meters as I was trying to avoid stepping on someone or being stepped on, as we were in the middle of around 1,300 people. Things settled down as we headed out of the NSC, down the access road and up through River Vale estate before turning down onto Braddan Bridge.



Outside Braddan church there were people sitting on the seats, usually used for the TT spectators, cheering and I heard one shout "morning Robbie!". This was directed at Robbie Callister who was walking in with the masses and it then hit me. I thought how bigoted I had been about the PW for so many years and cursed myself. Here I was, albeit a mile or so into it and just thought one thing - this is amazing. Heading out to Union Mills and up the middle of the closed road to Ballagarey Corner, down to Marown church before turning back to head past the school. The sight of all these walkers heading down was a new experience for me as I had usually only went out walking by myself. I admit I was getting caught up it in all. Heading up to Braaid cross roads and past more members of the public/corporate companies offering sweets and drinks to help us on our way. Getting to the top of Clannagh Road and onto the main Castletown road under the South African supporters flag and then over to Santon church via Oatlands Road. Yes, the first time to use the dibber to check in. That was the first target in my head ticked off. 11 miles in and everything going well and pace spot on. Next up, get down to Arbory to see Hannah and Sean and fill up the CamelBak and get some more food. I had been grazing on nuts, jelly babies and flap jack along with bananas which had been handed out along the course. Now I had stocked up on my secret weapon, jam and peanut butter sandwiches to fire me up Ballakillowey and the Sloc!  As we walked towards Rushen, Mike was starting to put his earphones in (yes, you were allowed them back in 2013) and told me to crack on as he was starting to feel the pace and needed to back off a little bit.

Walking through Colby and more and more spectators had come out to offer sweets and water at the bottom of their gardens. Next up, the marshals stopping traffic at the roundabout. Again, I laughed at myself thinking what the old me would have been thinking if I had been in the car being stopped. Rushen church had a great crowd, welcoming walkers into their parish before sending us off on our merry way. By the time it came to the PW I must have gone up Ballakillowey and the Sloc about 7-8 times. It certainly didn't hold any fear for me as I liked the challenge of a hill or two. I found myself overtaking quite a few people and had to remind myself to not get carried away or they will be back to overtake me soon enough. I walked up the sloc with a woman who had finished it on her debut the year before and she was telling me all about it. Chatting to her, the time flew by and I found the next thing I knew we were heading towards the round table. She then began to pick the pace up and I wisely backed off and wished her good luck. Hannah was at the round table and I took off my CamelBak and decided to just walk with a bottle instead.  

I was now looking forward to the descent into Dalby (after the rise to Eary Cushlin) and started to notice I was catching a few walkers that weren't moving so well. I had asked them if they were ok and they had either replied blisters or their knees were hurting after climbing the hills. I thanked my lucky stars that I had no ailments like that but it did make me wonder when the dreaded blisters would start..... After picking up some homemade cake at Dalby I was then able to spot Corrin's Folley on Peel Hill. It was like a tractor beam bringing me home to the Motherland. It gave me a boost and could feel myself walking with a bit more gusto. Hannah and Sean drove past and told me I was up quite a bit on my estimated time and was worried I was going too quick. I replied that I felt fine at the pace I was doing. Heading up out of the dip at Glen Maye I passed one of my mates, Matthew Bousfield (Bousy) and gave him a smile for the camera. The opening to Old Post Office hill (which I had trained on) was on my right and thought thank god I am not heading up there today.

Into Patrick to dib in and off towards Peel via The Raggatt. Now, one day when I was a kid on my bike, I had crashed into the bridge (at the bottom of the steep hill just before Peel) and nearly ended up in the river Neb. I tapped the wall for good luck and headed up into Peel. Davie Craine was the first person I saw walking into Peel and foolishly thought I would get a heroes welcome - "get a move on Miller!". Tough love in Peel I can tell you. Walking up Michael Street felt surreal. I then gave my parents and auntie a thumbs up as I approached the Town Hall. Dot Tilbury who was entertaining the crowds with her dry Manx wit mentioned I was carrying on and there was a big cheer to set me on my way. 31.5 miles done at 7:24:54 which was around 4.4mph average and I was not feeling too bad considering it was the furthest I had ever walked.



Confidence was flowing but as I was heading out and away from Peel the temperature suddenly got colder and the clouds got darker. Doesn't it always? Spots of rain began to fall as I went past Whitestrand and the first signs of blisters were starting to register. I then muttered to myself, I'm guessing this is where I need to start showing my character........


No comments:

Post a Comment