Thursday, April 4, 2019

What next?

So after finishing the Parish Walk (PW) I wanted to keep the fitness going. The idea of going off road and heading into plantations and up the hills had crossed my mind whilst I had been training for the PW. I can always remember the feeling of being out running around the hills gave me such a sense of freedom. I would be going up to the top of Cronk ny Arrey Laa (hill at the very top of the Sloc) via Earystane plantation thinking I was Rocky running up the Philadelphia Museum of Art steps. Then turning around and seeing my house and the route I had taken. It certainly raised my heartbeat doing those runs and was fantastic for my well being.

I hadn't thought of giving myself a next target as I was just enjoying myself continuing to get fitter by walking and running. I did however, champion the PW and had become like a broken record for the amount of times I had told people "if I can do it, you can too!". Hannah, Wendy and Mike were up for the challenge of going the full distance in 2014. I would support Hannah this time around.

It was a funny feeling not doing it and I found it difficult to watch the action this time around. I knew I was going to have to be involved next year. Hannah made it to Andreas & Wendy to Ballaugh before having to bow out. Mike powered through his demons to record his first finish in 21:29:53.

Later on in the year, it was confirmed that a 100 mile walk was going to be staged around Castletown in August 2015. In my head this type of event was only for the "elite" walkers as it was 15 extra miles plus the average pace to finish in 24 hours was going to be faster than the PW. On the flip side, it was a flat 2 mile loop and it was right on my doorstep, being 2 miles away from my home in Ballabeg. I'd think about it but I would put it into the back of my mind for now.

On New Year's eve 2014, I got a phone call (close to midnight) from an intoxicated and excitable Sam Fletcher....."mate, the 100 miler entries open at 1 minute past midnight, lets enter and we can walk it together!!" I can remember thinking about it for a millisecond and (spurred on by the alcohol) replied "yeah, come on let's go for it". Shortly after the midnight bells had finished ringing in the new year, our entries were in.

Into the new year (2015), Hannah confirmed she wanted to give the PW another go. The new goal was set in concrete - see if I could help Hannah get around and also use it as training for the 100 miler in August.

So, walk the PW as training (!) for the 100 miler, which was less than 2 months later. This will be straight forward...…..

For those of you interested in centurion walks (100 milers), it has been confirmed that Castletown here on the island is being used once again! It is being held over the weekend of 17th & 18th August 2019. If the idea of 100 mile scares you, there is an opportunity to still be involved as there is an option to do 20 mile, which starts on the Sunday morning. 

For more details take a look at the official website: http://www.isleofman100milewalk.co.uk/









No comments:

Post a Comment